History

1890 The Salvation Army created a rescue home for women and children on Ross Avenue.
1904 The rescue home was incorporated under the name The Salvation Army Grace General Hospital. It was the first Salvation Army Hospital incorporated in Canada.
1906 A new building erected on the corner of Preston Avenue and Arlington Street, including a School of Nursing.
1910 New addition to the Arlington Street Hospital completed.
1915 Winnipeg was established as the headquarters for the administration of the Salvation Army in Western Canada.
1927 New wing added, with modern equipment and features, transforming the facility from a maternity hospital to a general hospital.
1930 In spite of the Great Depression, a laboratory was created and the hospital received accreditation from the American College of Surgeons.
1941 New School of Nursing building opens.
1947 New surgical wing opens.
1947 First chaplain and public health nurse placed on staff.
1950 The great Red River flood hits the city. Most patients evacuated, medical and hospital services under military control.
1951 Improvements were made to the grounds and interior of hospital.
1956 Canada's first candy-stripers were introduced.
1959 New five-story obstetrical wing opens.
1964 Construction of new 250-bed hospital begins on current St. James site. A fire in December 1964 slows construction.
1967 New hospital at 300 Booth drive officially opens.
1971 Old Grace Hospital on Arlington Street purchased by Manitoba Government.
1973 Psychiatric wing built.
1980's Computerized Medical Records Index and Admission Discharge System implemented. An extended treatment unit opens for long-term mental health patients.
1989 Obstetrical clinic opens.
1993 Chapel and main lobby renovated.
1997 Obstetrics department closes.
1998 Grace Hospital School of Nursing program closes. The building is now the home of a children's daycare, speech and language services, offices and meeting rooms.
2004 School of Nursing building renamed the Dorothy Wood Building in honour of an instructor with 40 years of service to the school.
2004 Grace Hospice opens to provide home-like care to people in the last three months of life.
2008 Transition of ownership between Salvation Army and WRHA.
2011 Grace Hospital Tower Upgrade Project Complete.
2011 Construction begins on Access St. James Inc..